The Alwoodley Golf Club, founded in 1907, is officially recognised as one of Britain's finest inland courses.
Forming part of the famous stretch of golfing territory on the northern fringe of Leeds in Yorkshire, The Alwoodley Golf Club:
- was the first course to be designed by the famous golf architect, Dr Alister MacKenzie, whose other masterpieces included Augusta National, Cypress Point, Pasatiempo and Crystal Downs in the United States, and Royal Melbourne in Australia
- features in the Top 100 of the World Courses
- ranks as one of the top 50 Championship courses in the UK & Ireland
- is rated No 2 in Yorkshire and is closely compared with Ganton
- five star rating in Golf World "1000 Best Courses in Britain & Ireland"
- regularly hosts county and national tournaments
According to "Today's Golfer," Alwoodley is "one of the best-kept secrets in British golf." The course layout forms part of Wigton Moor and is of a natural moorland character. Springy fairways cut through a profusion of heather, whins and shrubs, with the trees particularly striking in autumn which American visitors find especially appealing. In addition to its scenic beauty, the course is plentifully and cunningly bunkered and has large undulating and interesting greens.
Over the years this impressive course has stood the test of time and is now in the best condition it has been for many years. Today only the 10th and 6th greens have been altered from the original designs and this was completed many years ago.
Brief History of The Alwoodley Golf Club
The Alwoodley Golf Club in Yorkshire was founded by 14 professional businessmen who realised their dream of building a new course at Wigton Moor, Leeds, on land leased from Lord Harewood.
Among those present at the first auspicious meeting on 24 January 1907 were Mr G H Tetley (from the local Leeds Brewing family) Mr T L Taylor and the Hon F S Jackson, both of whom played cricket for Yorkshire and England. Another founder member was local GP Dr Alister MacKenzie, who sketched out his design ideas for the new course at Alwoodley and later became the famous international golf course designer.
Click here to proceed to the MacKenzie Course page.
The second meeting took place just five days later when the Officers of the Committee were duly elected. Voted in respectively as first Chairman, Treasurer and Hon Secretary were F W Tennant, A Sykes and A MacKenzie. The following month a total of 196 members - all gentlemen - were elected.
In April 1907, over-turning their own decision not to elect further members until the course was sufficiently advanced, the Committee elected a further 20 gentlemen, 20 ladies and 20 country members. The total, therefore, stood at 216 gentlemen and 20 lady members. The President was the Earl of Harewood.
Today the Club's rules limit the membership for full playing men and lady members. Not much change from the early days - and still no starting sheets!
In the mid 90's extensive improvements were made at Alwoodley to ensure the championship course retains its high ranking as one of the best in the country. The Club's investment programme provided for:
- Enlargement and improvement of selected tees
- Construction of a new drainage system for the entire golf course
- Replacement and management of natural features such as heather and gorse
- Replacement and upgrading of the irrigation system for all putting greens
- Installation of an irrigation system on all tees
- Construction of a new maintenance building with secure storage for all course machinery and equipment
- Selective removal of unwanted trees, thus returning the course to its original open land heath character
- Reconstruction of all 19 putting greens to the sand base USGA specification
- Construction of a rabbit-proof fence round the perimeter of the course
Anyone wishing to join the club needs to be proposed and seconded by current members of the club of at least 5 years' standing and not on the committee. Members can obtain relevant forms from the office.
How to Find Us